Do you have a project/work experience for a physics undergraduate?
SEPnet (South East Physics Network) is a consortium of university physics departments – Hertfordshire, Kent, Portsmouth, Queen Mary, Reading, Royal Holloway, Southampton, Surrey, Sussex and Open University.
SEPnet organises an annual placement scheme for physics students at the above universities and is seeking 8-week plus projects in industry or research in areas such as data analysis, mathematic modelling, product design and testing or science communication.
Who can apply?
The scheme is aimed at any organisations interested in recruiting physics graduates, or who can offer valuable business experience, including large companies, SMEs, start-ups, research institutions, charities and NGOs. Employers who participate include AWE, BAE Systems, CCFE, Good Energy, Leonardo, Met Office, NPL, QinetiQ, STFC and many SMEs.
Benefits to employers
• Early access to bright, numerate students with excellent problem-solving and IT skills
• Enables you to carry out projects you would not normally have time for
• Provides a fresh perspective on your business challenges
• All advertising, administration and placement support is handled by SEPnet
• Some funding available for SMEs
Types of projects
• Manipulating data in virtual reality – BAE Systems
• Economic benchmarking – Coast to Capital
• Research into applications of photonics technologies for the developing world – KTN
• Introduction of advanced statistical measures into business planning – Online Lubricants
• Read our short case studies here
What employers have said:
‘Very satisfied with the whole process, organised and straightforward, with good students.’
‘We took SEPnet students for the second year running and have been very impressed with the calibre, their capabilities and the general high standard. For your records we have just made a permanent job offer to one of the students…’.
For more information:
Visit http://www.sepnet.ac.uk/students-employers/information-for-employers/ for further information. Register your placement project, or projects, online here by Friday 10 February. Email firstname.lastname@example.org