More time to nominate Ashford Borough’s best
Plans for the prestigious Diamond Jubilee civic awards ceremony on Thursday 25 October 2012 are really taking shape.
And the good news is that following a lot of interest the deadline has been extended to Friday 7 September at 5pm to give people more time to consider, complete and submit their nominations.
The awards have been set up to highlight the spirit of community in the borough and to mark the Queen’s Diamond Jubilee. They will recognise those people who are the heartbeat of their community and whose deeds, kindness and commitment have been appreciated but not widely recognised and celebrated until now.
The awards ceremony will take place at St Mary’s Church in front of a specially invited audience and further details of the event will be confirmed soon.
Ashford business has been extremely positive and supportive in its backing of the civic awards, with 14 sponsors having come forward to provide funding for the event. Their interest reflects the regard with which the awards will be held in the borough as those receiving civic recognition are rewarded.
So there is still time to nominate someone you know, whose actions deserve to be applauded, who has made a truly positive impact in the community where you live, or to the borough as a whole.
Anyone aged 16 or over, who is either a resident or who serves Ashford’s communities but lives outside the borough can be nominated.
Cllr Gerry Clarkson, Deputy Leader of Ashford Borough Council and Chairman of the Ashford Honours and Awards board, said “We once again thank local businesses for their overwhelming backing of this inaugural event. We have already had some wonderful nominations and are promised more, so it makes sense that we allow people more time to properly share their gratitude for those people who make their communities stronger.
“Ashford is fortunate to have so many dedicated people who have sought no favour for their life-changing actions. Through these awards we can all thank them for making the borough a better place in which to live.”
To obtain a nomination form please contact Emily Best (Honours and Awards) in writing at the Civic Centre, Tannery Lane, Ashford, Kent TN23 1PL or via email at email@example.com or via telephone on 01233 330866.
How to nominate someone:
• All nominations must be submitted in writing and by hard copy only. Electronic submissions will not be accepted.
• The closing date for submissions is 5pm on Friday 7 September 2012. All entries received after this point will not be considered.
• Each person nominating may only nominate one person but obviously nominees may receive more than one nomination.
• Completed nomination forms must be submitted with letters of Support –
o There must be a minimum of two and a maximum of six letters of support
o Letters of support can come from any member of the community who is independent and unrelated to the nominee, but who know the nominee and can vouch for their personal contribution to the borough.
o Where appropriate, letters of support are encouraged from elected Parish, Borough and County Councillors (who cover the Ashford Borough), along with the two local MPs (Ashford and Folkestone and Hythe constituencies) and local MEPs. However, they are also welcomed from individual members of the public who know the nominee.
• Letters of support should be enclosed with the nomination form and should be no more than 250 words in length.
• There are no separate, individual or group categories for nominations and every nomination will be judged on its merits.
Specific eligibility criteria
• The activities of nominees must positively impact or reflect well on the Borough of Ashford, whether or not they are residents of the Borough
• Recipients will in the main be individuals but could be groups
• The Ashford Borough Council Diamond Jubilee Civic Awards will recognise, honour and celebrate those who have achieved, contributed, excelled or who have made personal effort or sacrifice.
• Local authority employees may only be considered for achievements in the community that are external to their current job activities.
Selection of those people who will become recipients of awards will be made by the members of the Ashford Honours and Awards Board.
For more information, contact:
Senior Communications Officer
Ashford Borough Council
Phone: 01233 330543