Ashford’s business community rallies to support awards
Ashford business is backing the borough’s prestigious civic awards, which will honour individuals who have made a truly positive contribution to their communities in Ashford.
Eight business sponsors have already come forward to provide funding for the event, recognising the positive reflection this will have on the borough as the selflessness and dedication of those receiving civic recognition.
It has now been announced that the awards ceremony will be held on the evening of Thursday 25 October 2012 at St Mary’s Church in front of a specially invited audience. More details about the evening itself will be revealed in due course.
The awards have been set up to extend the spirit of community that has been fostered in the borough as the nation came together to mark the Queen’s Diamond Jubilee. They will recognise those people who give so much to their community and whose actions, humanity and devotion have gone largely unrecognised until now.
While there has already been a lot of interest in the awards, we still urge you to nominate someone you know, whose actions have made a truly positive impact in the community where you live, or to the borough as a whole.
Anyone aged 16 or over, who is either a resident or who serves Ashford’s communities but lives outside the borough can be nominated. Essentially, the dedication of those people nominated must shine through, albeit if their efforts may be largely unknown. They will be recognised and shown to be an inspiration to others, with their personal efforts enthusing those around them.
Cllr Gerry Clarkson, Deputy Leader of Ashford Borough Council and Chairman of the Ashford Honours and Awards board, said “I am delighted that Ashford business is backing these important awards and wants to come forward to afford the recipients their special moment. Ashford is full of people who really are the heartbeat of their communities – these awards will be their moment when we all say a heartfelt thank you.”
To obtain a nomination form please contact Emily Best (Honours and Awards) in writing at the Civic Centre, Tannery Lane, Ashford, Kent TN23 1PL via the Council’s website (www.ashford.gov.uk), via email at email@example.com or via telephone on 01233 330866.
How to nominate someone:
• All nominations must be submitted in writing and by hard copy only. Electronic submissions will not be accepted.
• The closing date for submissions is midday on Wednesday 15 August 2012. All entries received after this point will not be considered.
• Each person nominating may only nominate one person but obviously nominees may receive more than one nomination.
• Completed nomination forms must be submitted with letters of Support –
o There must be a minimum of two and a maximum of six letters of support
o Letters of support can come from any member of the community who is independent and unrelated to the nominee, but who know the nominee and can vouch for their personal contribution to the borough.
o Where appropriate, letters of support are encouraged from elected Parish, Borough and County Councillors (who cover the Ashford Borough), along with the two local MPs (Ashford and Folkestone and Hythe constituencies) and local MEPs. However, they will also welcomed from individual members of the public who know the nominee.
• Letters of support should be enclosed with the nomination form and should be no more than 250 words in length.
• There are no separate, individual or group categories for nominations and every nomination will be judged on its merits.
Specific eligibility criteria
• The activities of nominees must positively impact or reflect well on the Borough of Ashford, whether or not they are residents of the Borough
• Recipients will in the main be individuals but could be groups
• The Ashford Borough Council Diamond Jubilee Civic Awards will recognise, honour and celebrate those who have achieved, contributed, excelled or who have made personal effort or sacrifice.
• Local authority employees may only be considered for achievements in the community that are external to their current job activities.
Selection of those people who will become recipients of awards will be made by the members of the Ashford Honours and Awards Board.
Successful nominees will receive confirmation of their award and an official invitation to the award ceremony no later than Friday 14 September 2012.